Compex®, the muscle specialist, is always looking to support athletes in their quest for well-being, performance or even exceeding training objectives.
As a global leader for more than 30 years in muscle stim technology, Compex® has dedicated hours and energy to make sure health care professionals, athletes, and individuals have the essential technology and support needed to help relieve muscle pain and improve strength. Our FDA-cleared products are beneficial for muscle recovery, injury prevention, pain management, and intense training programs. We offer the best in Electric Muscle Stimulators (EMS), Electrodes, and EMS Accessories.
Electrostimulation allows you to naturally reap the benefits of improved stamina, quick recovery, as well as increased blood circulation, strength, and muscle volume. It's a great complement to any existing sports training regimen. From seasoned professionals to weekend warriors, there are many benefits that can be found adding FDA-cleared Compex® muscle stim devices into any training regimen.
Compex® Electric Muscle Stimulators
The technology of Compex®, drawn from its double roots — Swiss quality and medical requirement — is light, portable and easy to use. Whether used for training and muscle strength or relaxation and pain relief, Compex® FDA-cleared EMS devices are an essential go-to training tool as a complement to or occasionally to replace voluntary physical activity.
With many pre-designed program options, the Compex® FDA-cleared devices are meant to help athletes and active individuals reach their fullest potential, fast and effectively.
FDA-cleared medical devices are ones that FDA has determined to be substantially equivalent to (similar) another legally marketed device. A premarket notification submission is referred to as a 510(k) and must be submitted to FDA to review and provide clearance.
Shop for a Compex® Muscle Stimulator
Individual results may vary. Neither DJO Global, Inc. nor any of its subsidiaries dispense medical advice. The contents of this blog do not constitute medical, legal, or any other type of professional advice. Rather, please consult your healthcare professional for information on the courses of treatment, if any, which may be appropriate for you.
Check out the review by Steven John from The Manual. Please note that Steven was provided a device to keep by Compex at no charge, and his opinions in the review are his own. Go to https://www.themanual.com/culture/compex-sport-estim/ to see this article and more.
First of all, forgive the “shockingly easy to use” pun. I went for the low-hanging fruit, yes; this device does not actually shock you, no. Rather the Compex Sport Elite uses electrostimulation (estim) — brief pulses of electricity transmitted through the muscles via electrode, e.g. — to aid with everything from improved blood circulation to increased muscle mass to faster post-exercise recovery. And yes, this Electric Muscle Stimulator really can do all that, and more. You just have to spend the time to learn to use it properly, and you have to get over the fact that using the Compex EMS is kind of really strange at first.
First, let’s take a basic look at what electric muscle stimulation is: it’s making muscles work. There. I mean… I said basic, didn’t I? OK, we’ll go a bit deeper.
When you pick up a barbell (or a cup of coffee or a copy of War and Peace), your brain is sending electrical impulses to your muscles via the trusty nervous system. All the right muscles contract, and the result is you lifting the weight (or other object). Or typing, playing the violin, running from a tiger, etc. The point is that your brain controls all sorts of voluntary muscle contractions. (And involuntary ones, yes, Mr. Scientician.)
When you apply electrodes to your muscle groups and send charges through the muscle using a battery instead of your brain, your muscles will contract as well, albeit this time the contraction is involuntary. But guess what? Muscle fibers don’t care whether it was you’re brain or the Compex Sport Elite EMS device that made them contract; if they do so enough times, the fibers will endure the slight tears that lead to new growth and result in larger, stronger muscles. Using a Compex device can help you build muscle even if you are sitting in a chair, stuck in traffic, or even lying in bed; using the device during an active workout or as part of your warm-up or recovery can help you build a hell-of alot more muscle, and can keep your body limber and feeling great. Yes, many people see using EMS devices as a rather lazy approach to muscle building and fitness, but that’s largely a misconception of this type of hardware generally, and a diametric misunderstanding of the intended use of the Compex Sport Elite. This is not a way for the lazy person to exercise, it is a tool to help the fitness devotee make the most of his or her workouts. But it didn’t start out that way…
I spoke to Brandon Hearn, Senior Director of Consumer Business Development with Compex, and got the lowdown on the brand’s backstory. He told me that the company “has been around for 31 years now. [Compex] was founded in Switzerland, and started out as a medical device company.” The products were developed for “people who had muscle atrophy issues, who needed rehab, that sort of purpose. But slowly and steadily we began getting more and more requests from fitness-related clients, and we became more geared toward sports and fitness products.” People realized the potential top quality EMS devices offered beyond keeping muscles of injured or elderly patients functioning, seeing that Compex products could also help fit people achieve ever greater strength and endurance capabilities.
What sets the Compex Sport Elite apart from many other EMS hardware options is the fact that this device can “grab” almost 100% of the muscle tissue in a given area, providing your muscles with a productive, complete workout and avoiding dysmorphic issues many electric stimulation devices can cause. Think about it like this: when you lift a weight, you are using multiple muscles to heft and balance the load. When you use an electric pulse to contract a muscle, you run the risk of hitting and therefore working only a few fibers. The Compex sends electric pulses deep into the fibers, contracting almost every tissue in a muscle group, therefore ensuring the muscle is developed evenly.
Alright, now let’ talk about me. I’m a runner/hiker and I do daily calisthenics and some moderate weightlifting. I was circumspect about EMS technology primarily because it kind of freaks me out, and also because I just wasn’t sure this type of device would do me much good. After all, I’m not looking to build huge muscles for competitive weightlifting or anything. But I do like making the most of my two to three weekly weightlifting sessions, and I do know the agony of severe lactic acid build up after a serious hike. So when I learned that of the nine programs the Compex Sport Elite offers, one was all about recovery and rapid lactic acid processing, and that many of the strength and endurance regimens could make those lifting sessions more productive, I figured hey, let’s give this thing a whirl.
The first time I applied the electrodes to my body, I managed to put them on wrong and nothing happened. About 45 seconds of reading later and I realized I needed to reposition the adhesive pads and boom, my left bicep was twitching away without me doing anything more than watching in mild consternation. But y’know what? You get used to the involuntary muscle twitching pretty fast.
I tried out the Compex on my quads, calves, and other arm, and then started trying it out on my abs some, too. While I have by no means had the time to become an expert with this device, I’ll say that I (and you will too) quickly got down the proper electrode placement for larger, distinct muscles and muscle groups, such as the biceps and quadriceps. Getting everything in just the right place to feel I was properly working my abdominals was a bit harder, and the fact that I have a moderately hairy chest wasn’t a benefit here. The goo on the pads is pretty forgiving on skin and even hair, I’ll allow, but it definitely took a bit of hair with it. Oh well.
I’m sure over time I will become more comfortable with the strength and endurance building programs, but it was the post-workout recovery assistance that caught my attention initially and that I see myself making the most use of going forward.
The Compex Sport Elite can help you stave off delayed onset muscle soreness (which they call DOMS), therefore precluding one of the most common issues the athlete/outdoorsman faces. If you are a serious hiker, you know the score: you get off the mountain feeling great, but within hours, your legs are locked up and throbbing and your back is sore as all hell. But not if you spent some time with the Compex’s recovery programs. In this modem, the device produces a constant but low-intensity frequency of pulses that induce gentle muscle contraction akin to getting a massage. The result in increased blood flow that helps move lactic acid out of there muscles and bring oxygen and nutrients in. I have tried the recovery program out after runs and workouts, and I can’t wait to try it after my next big hike.
And hell, I might even start building some muscle while sitting at this desk.
COMPEX 50K SWEEPSTAKES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. MANY WILL ENTER AND FEW WILL WIN. YOU HAVE NOT YET WON.
THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS NOT ENDORSED BY OR AFFILIATED WITH INSTAGRAM. AS A CONDITION TO ENTERING THIS PROMOTION, YOU RELEASE INSTAGRAM, FROM ALL LIABILITY.
- Eligibility: The Compex 50K Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. If you are a minor in your state of residence, you must have the consent of your parent or legal guardian to enter. Employees and non-employee workers of DJO Consumer, LLC and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and agents, and those prize providers and agencies that are involved in the development or execution of this Sweepstakes or any of its materials, and the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such person are not eligible. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
- Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by DJO Consumer, LLC,
1325 Sycamore Ave Ste B, Vista, CA 92081 (“Sponsor”).
- Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes.
- Promotion Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 3pm Pacific Standard Time ("PST"), April 5, 2017and ends at 3:00 p.m. PST, April 7, 2017 (the "Promotion Period").
- Guidelines And Restrictions:
- Entries must not contain material that violates or infringes on another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights.
- Entries must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the Promotion.
- Entries must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, derogatory, or libelous.
- Entries must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual, or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Entries must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the Entry is created.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entry that violates these restrictions or that otherwise does not comply with the requirements of these Official Rules.
- Drawings: There will be a drawing to win the prizes described below on or about April 8, 2017. On the drawing date, Sponsor will select the name of two (2) potential Grand Prize winners and ten (10) potential First Prize Winners in a random drawing of all eligible Entries received during the Promotion Period. The potential winners will be notified by direct message on their Instagram account; entrants agreed to be so notified and to maintain their account in a manner to allow such direct messaging If a potential winner fails to respond within five (5) days of notification or any notification is returned as undeliverable, Sponsor may select an alternate winner in a random drawing. The odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible Entries received during the Promotion Period.
- Requirements of Potential Winners: Potential winners must continue to comply with the Official Rules. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all of Sponsor’s requirements. Each potential winner may be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within five (5) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, a Declaration of Compliance, Liability & Publicity Release (except where prohibited) and applicable tax documentation (e.g. W-9) in order to claim his/her prize and to fulfill any such other requirements as determined by Sponsor. If a potential winner fails to do so, he/she may be disqualified and forfeit the prize. In the event that a potential winner cannot be contacted, forfeits the prize or is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will select an alternate potential winner in a random drawing from among all remaining eligible Entries, up to three (3) alternates. If the alternate potential winners are disqualified, the applicable prize will not be awarded.
- Prizes: The following prizes will be awarded (the “Prizes”):
- Two (2) Grand Prizes will be awarded, each consisting of a Sport Elite Compex Device. Approximate Retail Value of each such Prize (“ARV”): $649.99.
- Ten (10) First Place Prizes will be awarded, each consisting of a Compex T-Shirt (ARV: $10)
Prizes are not transferable and not redeemable in cash. There is no prize substitution, except that Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is not available. Each Prize winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with Prize receipt and/or use. Limit: 1 Prize per person. All expenses of using the Prizes not specifically listed above are the sole responsibility of the winners. Sponsor makes no representation and warranties regarding the Prizes and expressly disclaims the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular use.
- Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Sweepstakes constitutes entrant’s consent for Sponsor and its designees to use entrant’s name, likeness, prize information, city and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media worldwide without further consideration or right of approval.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but, not limited to, fraud, virus or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) cancel the Sweepstakes and award the prizes in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion, or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: Except where prohibited, by participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Twitter] and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners, prize partners, agents and agencies, and the officers, directors and employees of them (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Sweepstakes; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, printers or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) errors in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of Entries; (e) late, lost, or undeliverable Entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt, use or misuse of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Sweepstakes and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. If, for any reason, an entrant’s Entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another Sweepstakes Entry, if it is possible. If the Sweepstakes, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any prize offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth herein to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
- Disputes: Entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or any prizes awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Southern District of California or the appropriate California State Court located in San Diego County, California; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering any Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys' fees. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California.
- Winner List: For a winner list, visit [ ]. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete. The winner list will also be posted on Instagram @compexusa
Introducing the first US wireless electric muscle stimulation device designed to enhance performance and speed recovery. For over 20 years Compex has been the global leader in electrotherapy, with products beneficial for muscle recovery, injury prevention and intense training programs. Now with the release of the Compex Wireless USA athletes can experience freedom from wires which raises the training experience and allows athletes to take their workout to the next level.
Professional athletes of all sports from running, functional-fitness and cycling, to basketball and football can integrate Wireless USA into their daily training routines to achieve peak performance and desired results.
From fast recovery to muscle-strength gains and endurance improvements, the use of Wireless USA provides athletes and fitness enthusiasts with an intelligent tool to supercharge their performance and prevent future injuries. The device recruits specific motor nerves by targeting muscle fibers that cannot be reached through traditional workouts and training.
“Compex has been a key tool to enhance my performance since I started training,” said Josh Bridges, 2014 CrossFit Games Competitor. “It allows me to activate all my muscle fibers, dig deeper and ultimately get stronger for competition day. With the introduction of Wireless USA, I’m now able to have more freedom and increase the usage of NMES in my training.”
Additional Compex enthusiasts include: Chad Mendes (UFC), Steve Weatherford (NFL), Andy Potts (Ironman), John Wellborn (Strength Coach), among others.
Support Compex sponsored athlete Chad Mendes in his upcoming UFC 189 Interim Featherweight Title Fight against Conor McGregor on Saturday, July 11th 2015 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Former All-American wrestler Chad "Money" Mendes who has ended five of his last six wins by knock out (KO) will fight Ireland's Conor McGregor in the main event on Pay-Per-View at 10pm/7pm ETPT.
Learn more about how Chad Mendes supercharges his workouts and trains with Compex on his athlete page: ShopCompex.com/athletes/chad-mendes
Step up your game by adding Compex into your workout regimen. Even the most elite athletes use less than half of their muscle potential. By integrating Compex electric muscle stimulation into your workouts you can activate 100% of your muscle fibers for the ultimate in warmup, performance and recovery.
Learn more about Electric Muscle Stimulation.
Last week, Compex announced an exciting partnership with CrossFit and the CrossFit Games. This is a great opportunity for the CrossFit community to experience the benefits of training and recovering with Compex, a muscle stimulator.
Read the full press release here: Compex and CrossFit Partner Together
Tune in for the live announcement with the 15.4 CrossFit Open airing on the CrossFit website on March 19 at 5pm Pacific.
Follow our athletes on their CrossFit journeys on Twitter & Instagram
The Compex Masters Racing team recently won the USATF Cross Country Nationals for the Mens’ 40-49 age group division. The team averaged and impressive 33:20.10. The top masters men’s runner was Peter Magill, 49, covering 10k in 32:36.0. Second was his Compex Racing teammate Christian Cushing-Murray, 43, who ran 32:47.8. Congratulations!