5 Tips to Prepare for the CrossFit Open
Whether this is your first or seventh, it’s important to make sure you take the necessary steps to peak at the right time for the fast approaching CrossFit Open! Not only peak, but stay consistent through the 5-week competition.
- Have a clear, realistic plan and stick to it. The last thing you want is to get caught up in each individual workout because you’ve got five weeks of back to back competition ahead of you. Talk to your coach, as they are most familiar with your skill set, and can help you set up a plan to follow over the course of the competition. If you are new to The Open, be prepared to be humbled in various ways but remember to enjoy the journey. Sometimes people can get caught up in the modifications, don’t. Realize there are thousands of others doing the exact same modifications you are. Also, keep it all in perspective – if you have a bad showing, let it go and move on to the next week with an even better plan of attack.
- Maintain skills, strength, and work capacity throughout the 5 weeks. Don’t exhaust yourself before the next Open event, but certainly don’t sit out during the week and get stiff. Choose activities that will help continue your form development, keep your fitness up, and help you stay loose for the next test. Your Compex device should be your best friend throughout the event! Rely heavily on the appropriate programs to keep your body top notch.
- Have a weekly taper to be fresh for "game day". This is key if you are going to make it all 5 weeks in the CrossFit Open. These workouts are designed to test your body to the max, so make sure you’re giving your body time to recover from the last workout so you can peak accordingly. Utilize your Compex device to flush lactic acid and give your muscles the attention they need to recover.
- You’ve got this. Follow what you know. Your normal warm-up and cool down routine will work, no need to reinvent the wheel. Take time to set up your workout station and make sure everything you need is in its place. This could shave a couple of seconds off your time, as well as keep you organized and help alleviate any potential frustrations.
- Don’t forget nutrition. As you push yourself to peak performance for The Open, it’s important to keep fueling your body with nutrients that help with recovery. It’s well known that protein is the building block of muscle so make sure you are get adequate protein, particularly amino acids. Healthy fats like coconut oil and avocados are great ways to help fuel you through the day as you may notice your appetite continuing to grow.