Compex sit down with Osteopath, Bernand Bonthoux and discuss how he uses Compex to help treat skiers.
An evolution in skiing techniques and materials has caused athletes to change their training methods and use electrostimulation.
Previously, the post-injury period was often the only instance these devices were used. However, after being in the ski industry for 30 years, I have seen an increase in the use of Compex.
A few years ago, every Nordic skier used electrical stimulation solely for recovery and Alpine skiers used it to increase strength; we can now say that the situation has completely changed.
Use of Compex in Skiing:
Compex can be an the ideal partner to help you warm up muscles, prevent injuries, recover better and faster, and even develop strength.
This guide shows you 4 training plans:
- Alpine Skiing: 4 weeks
- Alpine Skiing: 8 weeks
- Nordic Skiing: 5 weeks
- Nordic Skiing: 10 weeks
The 4 week program offers assistance for seasonal skiers and/or snowboarders. The primary goal of this preparation is to reduce the risk of injury and avoid the manifestation of aches and pains.
Major muscle groups to be targeted:
- Alpine and freestyle skiing: Quadriceps (knee ligaments injury prevention) and core
- Nordic skiing: the recovery of the lower body muscle groups on Quadriceps and Triceps surae. The emergence of new competition standards, with
more explosive speed requirements, engenders more intense muscle stim techniques such as strength building. The importance of the
upper body is increasing as well and can be integrated into this program.
- Snowboard: Quadriceps and abs
Several rules to help you achieve your objectives:
- The prerequisite for this training is to be in overall good shape and to train on a regular basis; obviously, the ski season is not just 4, 8 or even 10 weeks
- For people who are not used to muscle stimulation (especially the strengthening program), a 2-3 week initiation is highly recommended before starting
with a training plan.
- When you feel comfortable using the Compex device, you can add the Potentiation program to prepare the muscles before competitions.
- Practicing a sport where you have to ‘seek’ snow can be challenging when travel is frequent and you don’t have a chance for a proper recovery session.
Therefore it is essential to use the recovery programs.
- Finally, for casual skiers, this tool can be considered a supplement to other sports activities throughout the year.
Become a champion skier or just ski for fun; Compex will help either way!